I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome “CRPS” or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy “RSD,” how will that Effect my Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Case?

Group 152

Table of Contents

What is complex regional pain syndrome “CRPS” or reflex sympathetic dystrophy “RSD”?

This is a condition that causes pain, swelling and various other symptoms. It can occur in one body part but can also transfer to other body parts. This can be brought on by trauma or injury to a body part.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of CRPS or RSD can vary. These can include pain such as burning, tingling, throbbing or aching. It can be sensitive to touch or cold. There could be swelling in the body part effected. There could be skin changes such as discoloration or hair loss. There can also be a loss of muscle strength and size.

How do they test for CRPS or RSD?

Doctors can do various tests to measure skin temperature, sweating and nerve sensitivity. They may also order a diagnostic test such as bone scans, x-rays or MRIs. They can also do injections or blocks to better determine if there is a condition.

What is the treatment for CRPS or RSD?

Treatments can vary such as physical therapy, counseling, medication, injections, stimulators or surgery.

Will workers’ compensation cover the medical treatment and wage loss related to my CRPS or RSD?

As in any workers’ compensation case in the State of Minnesota, as long as the work injury is a substantial contributing cause to the condition or disease, then workers’ compensation would be responsible for the medical treatment and wage loss resulting from that condition. It is important to have your doctor comment on how the condition relates to the work injury. In some situations, as I have noted above, this condition will come on after trauma or even surgery. These cases can be complex as not every person is the same. In other words, a person may only have one or two of the symptoms but not all of them. Insurance companies can be quick on the draw in denying the claim. As such, it is important to discuss the matter with your doctor or attorney.

If you have questions or concerns about your case or if you have been denied benefits, please feel free to contact the Law Office of Thomas D. Mottaz to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer who can help you with your CRPS or RSD case.