What Should I Do If I’m Receiving the Wrong Amount in Workers’ Compensation?

Group 152

Table of Contents

After you’ve been injured on the job, the last thing you should worry about is getting the wrong amount in workers’ compensation. If you’re receiving the wrong amount in benefits, reach out to someone and speak up for yourself. The sooner you reach out for help to advocate for yourself, the better off you’ll be.

Not getting the correct amount in payments can cause a lot of additional stress. Thankfully, there’s several steps you can take with your attorney or claims adjuster to ensure you’re receiving the correct payments. Whether you’re getting too much or too little in your payments, it’s important to follow proper steps to make sure you’re getting the full amount you deserve for your injuries.

Contact an Attorney When Receiving the Wrong Amount in Workers’ Compensation

First, you should reach out to the attorney you worked with while fighting for workers compensation. If you no longer have the contact information for the same attorney you previously used, reach out to an attorney that specializes in workers’ compensation.


When you’re contacting the legal professional, give them an outline of your citation. If you’re still receiving compensation checks even though you’re back to work, let the attorney know. In the instance where you haven’t yet received a check for your injuries, give the attorney all of the background information you have to completely fill them in on your current situation.

Sometimes, workers compensation checks aren’t as much as they should be. You can work with the attorney and make them aware the compensation you’re receiving isn’t reflective of how much you were making before your injury. You and the attorney will go over the checks you received before your injury. The attorney will run an analysis on your average weekly pay to see if the workers compensation insurer was accurately paying you enough of what you were owed.

Working With an Adjuster

If you don’t have an attorney to work with when you’re receiving the wrong amount in workers’ compensation, send an email to the adjuster for your case. This way, you’ll have physical evidence of the time you reached out for help. In this email, explain whether you’re not receiving enough in your check or if you’re still receiving checks, even if you aren’t supposed to.

Why You Should Reach Out if You’re Receiving Checks You Aren’t Entitled to

After you go back to work from taking time off for your injury, you should no longer receive workers’ compensation checks. Collecting these checks and not reaching out for help to stop receiving the compensation can adversely affect you later down the road.

If you need to miss work again or if you need medical benefits because of the injury, the workers’ compensation insurers can claim they’d overpaid you. In the instance of a workers’ compensation insurer overpaying you, they’ll credit their account against you. That’s why it’s always a good thing to reach out to an adjuster or a workers comp attorney if you’re receiving checks after you’ve gone back to work.

This way, you can feel confident that you’re receiving the money you’re owed and you won’t have to worry about any problems later down the road.

Getting Help When You’re Receiving the Wrong Amount in Workers’ Compensation

When you believe you aren’t getting enough in your workers’ compensation checks, reach out to an attorney for help. At Mottaz & Sisk Injury Law, our team of dedicated and experienced personal injury attorneys will fight to make sure you’re getting the full amount you deserve. Contact Mottaz & Sisk Injury Law today for a free case evaluation if you believe you’re receiving the wrong amount in workers’ compensation!